1515 Marignan - 502 years ago today!

WilyB

Post by WilyB » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:19 am

The prologue to the battle was a remarkable Alpine passage, in which Francis hauled pieces of artillery (72 huge cannons) over new-made roads over the Col d'Argentière, a previously unknown route. This was, at the time, considered one of the foremost military exploits of the age and the equal of Hannibal's crossing of the Alps. At Villafranca the French, led by Jacques de la Palice, surprised and captured the Papal commander, Prospero Colonna, in a daring cavalry raid deep behind the allied lines (the Chevalier Bayard providing the impetus and expertise). Colonna and his staff aside, the French seized a great deal of booty on the raid, including 600 horses.

The capture of Colonna, along with the startling appearance of the French army on the plains of Piedmont, stunned the allies. The Pope and the Swiss both sought terms with Francis, while the Spanish allies en route from Naples halted to await developments. The main Swiss army retreated to Milan, while a large faction, tired of the war and eager to return home with the booty of years of successful campaigning, urged terms with the French.

Though the parties reached an agreement that gave Milan back to the French, the arrival of fresh and bellicose troops from the Swiss cantons annulled the agreement, as the newly arrived men had no desire to return home empty-handed and refused to abide by the treaty. Discord swept through the Swiss forces till Matthäus Schiner, cardinal of Sion and an arch-enemy of King Francis, inspired the Swiss with a fiery harangue on September 13, reminding them of what a smaller Swiss army had achieved against as powerful a French army at the Battle of Novara. Schiner pointed out the enormous profits of victory, appealed to national pride, and urged the Swiss to immediate battle. The effect was prodigious. The suddenly enthusiastic Swiss sprang to arms, issuing forth from Milan in disciplined but frenzied columns.
1515.jpg
This space for rent.

jeanV

Re: 1515 Marignan - 502 years ago today!

Post by jeanV » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:21 am

WilyB wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:19 am
To be honest, Francis I of France was one of its worst Kings ever.

Allying himself with Suleiman I of the Ottoman Empire against western countries:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_War_of_1542–46

A feat later reproduced by Louis the XIVth by refusing to help defend Vienna in 1683
On 6 September the Poles under John III Sobieski crossed the Danube 30 km (19 mi) northwest of Vienna at Tulln, to unite with Imperial troops and the additional forces from Saxony, Bavaria, Baden, Franconia and Swabia. Louis XIV of France declined to help his Habsburg rival, having just annexed Alsace.

This news was brought to you by my historical dupe Nappy,

I just used my main account to save time.

:P
What needs to be done about Benedict Arnold Trump: Lock him up!!

Ami Bidasse

Post by Ami Bidasse » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:20 pm

François I, en taule. Tanks you Charlot Quint !
Louis XVI, raccourci. Tanks you Maximilien R (et ses acolytes) !

And: A bas la Ripoublik du "p'tit Merdeux" en Marche arrière et vive les "aisés" retraités fainéants ! :D

Win the “yes” needs the “no” to win against the “no” !

jeanV

Post by jeanV » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:27 pm

Ami Bidasse wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:20 pm
vive les "aisés" retraités fainéants !

Le regretté, l'inestimable Dr. mamud aurait approuvé ce que je vais dire ici:

à savoir qu'en tant que rentier "aisé" retraité et fainéant,

l'"Ami Bidasse" devrait être pendu à un croc de boucher pour être passé à la machine à décerveler.

Un, parce que l'honorable mamud a le bon goût d'aimer Jarry et sa machine à décerveler les rentiers,

et deuxio, parce qu'il nourrissait toujours de noirs dessins à l'encontre de l'infortuné "Ami Bidasse".

:twisted:

What needs to be done about Benedict Arnold Trump: Lock him up!!